When used in a General Sense a Common Noun does not have an Article before it
Man is not immortal.
When a person, thing, or place is talked of, Indefinite Article is used.
However, when the same repeated, Definite Article is used.
We saw a ten-rupee note lying on the road.
The note we saw lying on the road was new.
A girl noted a stranger sitting in a car.
The girl noted the stranger sitting in the red car.
However, a Common Noun in Plural does not have a definite article before it.
Birds live in nest.
Children have a sweet tooth.
We must use Definite Article THE Before…
Superlative Degree of an Adjective
The best, the easiest, the least
Adjectives used as common nouns
The rich should not hate the poor.
The names of rivers, seas, oceans, bays, gulfs etc.
The Nile, The Sea of Japan, The Pacific Ocean,
The Chilka Lake, The Bay of Bengal. The Gulf of Mannar
The names of the Historical Buildings
The Victoria Palace, The Qutab.
The planets, Direction, Heavenly Bodies
The east, the West, the Sun, the Moon, the Stars
The names of News Papers, Magazines
The Economic Times, The Tribune, The Illustrated Weekly of India
The names of Religious Books and Religions
The Old Testament, The Bible, The Quran, The Christianity.
Ordinal Numbers (First, second, third, next, last etc.)
He is the first boy to come here.
The names of Trains/Planes and Ships
The Ekta Express, The Golden Temple Express, The Titanic, The Pushpak
Adjective, when Noun is understood
The old and the young.
The rich and the poor.
The names of Hills, Mountains
The Arawali The Nilgiris The Himalayas
But we must not use Article The Before…
The names of Material Nouns
Gold is a precious metal.
Beauty needs no comments.
Delhi, New York, Amritsar
The names of Countries
Pakistan, Paris, Srilanka, Wales
The names of Mountain Peaks
Doda Beta, Mount Everest
The Names of the days and months
Sciences or Arts
Physics, Economics, Carpentry, Painting
Let us see what we have learnt
1.Fill in the blanks with A, An as the case may be
1. Raina had _________ very bad night; she didn't sleep _________ wink.
2. My brother is ______ doctor; we should ask him for ______advice about hypertension.
3. Mr. V.N. is _________ honourable I.A.S. Officer.
4. The World is _________ pleasant place to live in.
5. He went to _________ European country for higher studies.
6. English is _________ easy language to learn.
7. Nipun found _________ egg in the sparrow's nest.
8. My husband likes _________ coffee, she likes _________ tea.
9. My sister is wearing _________ yellow skirt.
10. Do you take _________ sugar in _________ tea?
Check yourself here
1. a, a, 2. a, s, 3. an, 4. a, 5. a, 6. an, 7. an, 8. x, x, 9. a, 10. x, x,
2.Fill in the blanks with using 'The' where necessary
1. I have never witnessed so marvelous _________ scene.
2. It gives her _________ pleasure to do social work.
3. They have had _________ very bad experience.
4. My younger brother is _________ engineer.
5. My brother lives in _________ European Country.
6. He is _________ Shakespeare of our school.
7. Sudha lives on _________ second floor of _________ building.
8. Sohan was sent to ______ prison for _______ three months for _______ theft.
9. She is on _______ night duty. When all go to _______ bed, she goes to _______ work.
10. Neelam got _________ high fever and was immediately rushed to _________ hospital.
Check yourself here
1. a, 2. x, 3. a, 4. an, 5. a, 6. the. 7. the, a, 8. x, x, x, 9. x x x, 10. x x,
3.Fill in the blanks with A, An or The where necessary
1. Then _________ devil in him was terribly aroused.
2. This is _________ girl who came out with flying colours in the final examination.
3. There is _________ extension lecture in _________ University Auditorium this evening.
4. _________ Resource Person has come from Jawaharlal Nehru University.
5. He thinks this is quite _________ cheap hotel.
6. The patient was taken to _________ hospital with brain injury.
7. Prof. Sharma, _____ man, who got much coveted project, is ____ excellent intellectual.
8. We are going to _________ tea with _________ Arora's today.
9. We can't go to Mrs. Sharma in _________ car all covered with _________ mud.
10. She is suffering from _________ headache.
Check yourself here
1. the, 2. the. 3.an, the 4.The 5.a
6.x 7.the , an 8. X,X 9.a, X 10.X